A Mashup novel (for those of you who aren’t in the know) is a work of fiction which combines a pre-existing text, often a classic work of fiction, with a modern genre such as crime, fantasy or horror. Pride and Prejudice and Zombies, which combines Jane Austen’s classic novel with elements of modern zombie fiction, is one of the most famous and successful works in the genre, and has been credited with spawning a rash of imitations and cash-ins, such as Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Slayer, which does much the same with the historical autobiography. While some see the Mashup novel as re-energising fiction and bringing it to a wider audience than ever before, many criticise it for being too safe and lazy – the literary equivalent of the current penchant in Hollywood for reboots and prequels. What is unarguable, however, is the genre’s success. Both AL:VS and P&P&Z have topped the bestseller lists; the former has already been made into a Hollywood blockbuster while a film version of the latter is in the pipeline. So what makes Mashup novels so appealing and do they spell the beginning of a new golden age in genre fiction or the end of literature as we know it?
Thanks for stopping by!
I'm a writer and on this site you'll find samples of my work (which spans lots of genres including horror, comedy, mystery, thriller and fantasy) as well as book/film/music reviews, true stories, tall tales, urban legends and news of forthcoming publications. To follow me on Twitter or Facebook click on one of the links below.
- 626,810 hits
- #GhostCities #Powwow goo.gl/l2RV4Y https://t.co/DFAIAmhxFN 2 weeks ago
- #GhostCities #Hay goo.gl/99x68n https://t.co/AY599tK7QR 1 month ago
- #GhostCities #MRJames anilbalan.com/2016/12/18/a-w… 2 months ago
- #GhostCities #Sinterklaas goo.gl/hQ30Pe https://t.co/Htwawlugoe 2 months ago
- #GhostCities #CanterburyTales anilbalan.com/2016/11/13/can… https://t.co/X2PZrcjdWG 3 months ago
Top Posts & Pages
- Secrets of the Pow-wow
- The Kingdom of Hay
- A Warning to the Curious
- Canterbury Tales
- Crooked House
- Demons and Shadows: The Ghostly Best of Robert Westall
- Lost Hearts
- Ghost Walk
- The Green Man
- Kong: Fact or Fiction?
- Mysteries of the Moor
- London After Midnight
- The Land of Lost Content
- Oranges and Lemons
- The Bay of the Departed
- At the Mountains of Madness
- The Maid of Buttermere
- A Ghost Story for Christmas: The Tractate Middoth
- A View from a Hill
- Number 13 by M R James
- Manannan, Son of the Sea
- The Secret History of Sherlock Holmes
- Morag, the Monster of Loch Morar