With the Jubilee not long past I thought that this would be the ideal time to look at the long and storied history of Britain’s royal ghosts and hauntings. The most difficult part is knowing where to begin – one thing that this country does not have is a shortage of tales of blue-blooded phantoms and faders. There is the ghostly lantern-carrying groom of Althorp in Northamptonshire, the spectral limping priest of Amersham, the blood-curdling screams of Edward II in Berkeley Castle, the decapitated head of Charles I seen floating around Billingham Manor, the various phantom coaches of Norfolk, the duelling knights with fiery swords at Blofield, the disguised queen at Borthwick Castle and the crazed laughter of Queen Isabella at Castle Rising. Royal ghosts haunt the New Forest, Hampton Court Palace and St James’s Park. Windsor Castle, one of the main royal residences, is also one of the most haunted. It somehow seems fitting that a royal line with a history as long, colourful and often lurid as that of the British Isles should boast so many ghost stories. But is there a deeper, darker reason for the prevalence of malevolent spirits in relation to the British Crown?
Thanks for stopping by!
I'm a writer and on this site you'll find samples of my work (which spans lots of genres including horror, comedy, mystery, thriller and fantasy) as well as book/film/music reviews, true stories, tall tales, urban legends and news of forthcoming publications. To follow me on Twitter or Facebook click on one of the links below.
- 626,264 hits
- #GhostCities #Powwow goo.gl/l2RV4Y https://t.co/DFAIAmhxFN 2 weeks ago
- #GhostCities #Hay goo.gl/99x68n https://t.co/AY599tK7QR 1 month ago
- #GhostCities #MRJames anilbalan.com/2016/12/18/a-w… 2 months ago
- #GhostCities #Sinterklaas goo.gl/hQ30Pe https://t.co/Htwawlugoe 2 months ago
- #GhostCities #CanterburyTales anilbalan.com/2016/11/13/can… https://t.co/X2PZrcjdWG 3 months ago
Top Posts & Pages
- Secrets of the Pow-wow
- The Kingdom of Hay
- A Warning to the Curious
- Canterbury Tales
- Crooked House
- Demons and Shadows: The Ghostly Best of Robert Westall
- Lost Hearts
- Ghost Walk
- The Green Man
- Kong: Fact or Fiction?
- Mysteries of the Moor
- London After Midnight
- The Land of Lost Content
- Oranges and Lemons
- The Bay of the Departed
- At the Mountains of Madness
- The Maid of Buttermere
- A Ghost Story for Christmas: The Tractate Middoth
- A View from a Hill
- Number 13 by M R James
- Manannan, Son of the Sea
- The Secret History of Sherlock Holmes
- Morag, the Monster of Loch Morar