The supernatural has always played an important role in the background of the city of Winchester. There are tales of spectral monks at Winchester Cathedral and phantom horses in the Cathedral close, as well as stories of the Eclipse Inn, where Dame Alice Lisle, condemned by ‘The Hanging Judge’ Jefferies, still walks. But perhaps it should come as no surprise, once one becomes aware of the city’s wealth of history, to hear that ghosts are said to haunt almost every inch of Winchester within the old city walls. Perhaps the strangest ghostly account of Winchester concerns the statue at the heart of the city known as The Buttercross.
Thanks for stopping by!
I'm a writer and on this site you'll find samples of my work (which spans lots of genres including horror, comedy, mystery, thriller and fantasy) as well as book/film/music reviews, true stories, tall tales, urban legends and news of forthcoming publications. To follow me on Twitter or Facebook click on one of the links below.
- 626,264 hits
- #GhostCities #Powwow goo.gl/l2RV4Y https://t.co/DFAIAmhxFN 2 weeks ago
- #GhostCities #Hay goo.gl/99x68n https://t.co/AY599tK7QR 1 month ago
- #GhostCities #MRJames anilbalan.com/2016/12/18/a-w… 2 months ago
- #GhostCities #Sinterklaas goo.gl/hQ30Pe https://t.co/Htwawlugoe 2 months ago
- #GhostCities #CanterburyTales anilbalan.com/2016/11/13/can… https://t.co/X2PZrcjdWG 3 months ago
Top Posts & Pages
- Secrets of the Pow-wow
- The Kingdom of Hay
- A Warning to the Curious
- Canterbury Tales
- Crooked House
- Demons and Shadows: The Ghostly Best of Robert Westall
- Lost Hearts
- Ghost Walk
- The Green Man
- Kong: Fact or Fiction?
- Mysteries of the Moor
- London After Midnight
- The Land of Lost Content
- Oranges and Lemons
- The Bay of the Departed
- At the Mountains of Madness
- The Maid of Buttermere
- A Ghost Story for Christmas: The Tractate Middoth
- A View from a Hill
- Number 13 by M R James
- Manannan, Son of the Sea
- The Secret History of Sherlock Holmes
- Morag, the Monster of Loch Morar